Event code: 74009
Certification Course on Precast Concrete Construction Supervision
The developers and contractors are increasingly using buildable design and Precast Concrete (PC) Construction to achieve higher productivity. The supervisor or coordinator of precast construction work needs to adopt a different approach from cast-in-situ construction. He needs to pay more attention to the sequence of erection, handling and storage of precast components, site access, safety measures, alignments and tolerances.
A competent PC supervisor needs to understand how the different joint details could affect the design behaviour of the PC components. He needs to have good understanding of the work site handling and site management procedures for PC construction, able to supervise and coordinate the erection of PC components and have the ability to plan and mobilize site resources to ensure a safe and satisfactory completion of the project. Construction professionals and managers working in companies that switch from traditional building methods to precast technology will find this course helpful in enhancing their competencies. It also opens up opportunities to move up to higher supervisory and management roles.
At the end of the course, the participant should have acquired the skills and knowledge to:
• Describe the various types of precast technology, their advantages and disadvantages, and their applications;
• Explain the behaviours of precast structures under loading and execution;
• Plan and organize the precast site and yard for effective erection and production
• Supervise the production, transportation, erection, waterproofing and repair of precast components;
• Implement safe site and yard practices in precast construction.
MODULE 1- Introduction to Precast Concrete Technology
• What is precast technology • Advantages of precast technology
• Limitations of precast technology • Types of precast components
• Production process of precast components • Understanding of drawings and specifications
• Joint connection details • Incorporation of building services
• Understanding design behaviour of the PC component
MODULE 2 - Production
• Production procedures; design impact; precast yard / factory visit; repair work
MODULE 3 - Site Management
• Proper procedures of storage & space requirements
• Handling of equipment & machineries; worksite handling procedures
• Site management & administration; scheduling
• Actual Precast Concrete Construction site visit
MODULE 4 - Erection of Precast Concrete Components
• Handling of transported components; lifting/rigging procedures
• Inspection & quality control
• Placements & adjustments
• Propping; sealants; membranes
• Building services connection
• Safety consideration & aspects
i) inspection test & quality control
ii) precast concrete components erection & procedures
iii) prefab construction
iv) case studies
• On-site practical sessions at Approved Training and Testing Centre (ATTC)
The Applicant must be a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident or holder of valid employment pass/work permit and possess one of the following recognised qualifications:
a) Degree or Diploma in Construction/Building related courses from recognise institutions or universities; or
b) Certificate in M&E Coordination; or
c) National Certificate in Construction Supervision; or
d) Certificate in Building Measurement with minimum 3 years relevant working experience
Applicants with one of the following qualifications may be considered on a case-by-case basis:
Attain at least 3 GCE ‘O’ levels in English (Grade 1 to 8), Mathematics (Grade 1 to 6) and one other subject (Grade 1 to 8) with minimum 3 years relevant working experience; or Workplace Literacy & Numeracy (WPLN) Level 6, and at least 3 years of relevant experience.
ASSESSMENT & AWARD
A participant must attain at least 75% of physical attendance to be eligible to take the examination at the end of the course. Those who pass the examination will be awarded Certificate in Precast Concrete Construction Supervision.
Engineers, architects, project managers, supervisors, builders, suppliers and contractors.
Date: Starting in Apr 2017
Duration: 4 months (90 training hours)
(2-3 evenings per week; some site visits will be arranged on Saturdays)
Time: 6.30pm to 9.30pm
Venue: BCA Academy
Fee (incl of GST):
S$2,900.00 (without Subsidy)
S$1,472.00 (with SDF Subsidy*)
S$800.00 (with Enhance Funding for SME*)
S$800.00 (with Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy for self-sponsored applicant#)
*Skills Development Fund (SDF) is available for this course. T & C applys
Download Brochure & Application Form
To check the status of your course applications, please log into the Customer Self Service Portal (CSSP) at www.bcaa.edu.sg/self_help_portal/selfhelp/login.aspx.
If you need assistance on using the CSSP, please call our customer service hotline: 6248 9999, from 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
200 Braddell Rd S579700 • Fax: 6258 0558 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org • www.bcaa.edu.sg