Event code: 78047
Seismic Design of Buildings to Eurocode 8
From April 2015, the current building codes for structural design will be replaced by Eurocodes. The adoption of Eurocodes includes Eurocode1998 (EC8) which specifically deals with earthquake resistant design. This represents a significant step forward from the current codes (based on the British Standards without seismic provision). There is an urgency for the industry to be prepared for the use of EC8 that requires good understanding of structural dynamics and earthquake design philosophy.
The course aims to equip the participants with fundamental understanding of structural dynamics and technical knowledge needed for seismic design of buildings. The focus is on application of EC8 in accordance with Singapore National Annex and provides step-by-step guidance on two code-permitted methods, i.e. the (static) lateral force method and the (dynamic) response spectrum method. The principles and methodologies covered in the course will also be applicable to overseas projects with seismic considerations.
FUNDAMENTALS OF SEISMIC ANALYSIS
• Fundamentals of structural dynamics
• Vibration of single-degree-of-freedom and multiple-degree-of-freedom systems
• Elastic response spectrum
• Characteristic of earthquake ground motion
• Earthquake design philosophy
• Key requirements and parameters by EC8 and Singapore National Annex
• BCA’s Guidebook for Design of Buildings in Singapore
• Evaluation of structural regularity in plan and elevation
• Analysis methods: Lateral Force Analysis and Modal Response Spectrum Analysis
• Modal combination and directional combination rules
• Desirable features of earthquake resistant buildings
• Design spectrum based on Singapore National Annex
• Safety verification: ULS and DLS
• Seismic design and detailing rules
• Drift limitation and minimum structural separation
DEMONSTRATION OF SEISMIC ANALYSIS USING COMPUTER ANALYSIS SOFTWARE
• Modelling issues related to computer analysis software
• Illustration of seismic analysis results by computer analysis software
Certificate of Attendance (COA) will be awarded to participants who meet the attendance requirement.
• Structural Practicing Engineers
• Design Consultants
• Resident Engineers
• Concrete Specialists
• Academia and Researchers
7th Run: To be confirmed
Duration: 1 day
Time: 9.00am to 6.00pm
Venue: BCA Academy
Fee (Incl of GST): S$600.00
Refreshments will be provided.
In keeping with our green and sustainable practices, course notes will be available in e-format.
Download brochure & application form
If you need assistance, please call our customer service hotline: 6248 9999, from 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
200 Braddell Rd S579700 • Fax: 6258 0558 • Email: email@example.com • www.bcaa.edu.sg