Event code: 78026
Singapore experiences the highest incidence of lightning strikes in the world. These lightning strikes have caused major disruptions to main systems equipment and considerable damage to building structures. Understanding of lightning phenomenon and proper setup of lightning protection system are critical for the protection of lives, properties and equipment.
The 2-day course aims to provide participants with an understanding of the effects of lightning and various lightning protection methods for building structures. It will also cover various analytical methods for the performance assessment of lightning protection systems.
• Overview of Lightning Protection Systems
- Principles of lightning
- Causes of lightning damage
- Methods of lightning protection and effectiveness methods for buildings
• SS 555:2010 – Code of Practice for Protection against Lightning
- New requirements of SS 555:2010
- Risk Management
- Physical damage to structures and life hazard
- Electrical and electronic systems within structure
• Lightning Protection at Rooftop Garden
• Lightning Surge Protection of Electronic Equipment
- Understanding of the lightning protection zones and surge severities
- Methods of surge protection
- Basic circuits and components for surge protection
- Surge protective devices
• LIGHTNING PROTECTION, POWER EARTH AND CLEAN EARTH
• CASE STUDIES
ER. CHAN HENG LIM received a B.Eng (Hons) degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering from the University of Aberdeen, UK. He also holds a postgraduate certificate in Teaching in Higher Education. Er. Chan has acquired considerable experience in Power Plant Operation, Factory Automation, Electrical System Design, Planning and Implementing the different nature of projects in this region. He was the Vice President with an established consultancy company responsible for the design and management of electrical building services for infrastructural development, healthcare facilities, institutional building, commercial and residential buildings. Subsequently, he held a post of Deputy Director with a Government agency responsible for the standardization of guidelines and establishment of good practices
for healthcare infrastructure.
Er. Chan is a registered Professional Engineer (Electrical) in Singapore, Chartered Engineer (UK), International Professional Engineer (UK), Chartered Professional Engineer (Australia), APEC Engineer, ASEAN Chartered Professional Engineer (ACPE) and European Engineer (EurIng). He is a Licensed Electrical Engineer registered with EMA and a certified Green Mark Professional (GMP), Singapore.
Certificate of Attendance (COA) will be awarded to participants who meet the attendance requirement.
All practising M&E engineers, contractors and fresh graduates who wish to be updated or gain specialised knowledge in lightning protection within the built environment.
18th Run: 15 & 16 Aug 2019
Duration: 2 days
Time: 9.00am to 5.30pm
Venue: BCA Academy
Fee (incl of GST): S$690.00
Refreshments will be provided.
In keeping with our green and sustainable practices, course notes will be available in e-format.
Visit BCA Academy Online StoreFront (OSF) - CLICK HERE
Download Brochure Here
If you need assistance, please call our customer service hotline: 6248 9999, from 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
200 Braddell Rd S579700 • Fax: 6258 0558 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1) The company and individual applicant has read and understood the terms and conditions. 2) The company and individual applicant warrant that the particulars given are accurate. 3) The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) can disclose to other government agencies any information relating to this application. 4) Payment for the course must be made to BCA before the course commencement date. 5) Any Direct Debit and Direct Credit Authorisation for GIRO applications previously signed and passed to BCA will apply to payments made under this course. 6) BCA reserves the right to accept or reject the application for whatever reason. 7) BCA shall at its discretion allocate a space to the registered applicant, based on availability. 8) BCA reserves the right to amend any details relating to the course, revise the course fees without prior notice, cancel or postpone the course. 9) No deferment is allowed. 10) Request for withdrawal must be made in writing. Requests are subject to approval by BCA and administration fee: Written request for withdrawal that reaches BCA - At least 2 weeks before the course commencement date: 10% of course fee is payable. - Less than 2 weeks but more than 3 working days before the course commencement date: 25% of course fee is payable. - 3 working days or less before the course commencement date: full course fee is payable. 11) No Replacement is allowed for funded participants. 12) The Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points indicated for any course offered by BCA is subject to change and final approval by the relevant professional accreditation bodies. 13) Funding and subsidies offered by BCA or third party organisations for the courses are subject to approval. The company must make the application for funding and subsidies. BCA is not to be held liable and the company agrees to pay BCA the applicable funding amount if funding and subsidies are either granted at a reduced amount, not granted at all or if funding is revoked, for whatever reason. 14) All information, materials, services, intellectual property and other property and rights provided by BCA during the course are provided on an “as is” basis. BCA makes no warranties of any kind, either express or implied, as to any matter, and all such warranties, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are expressly disclaimed. 15) The materials supplied to the company and individual applicant for the course (“Materials”) are for their personal reference only and the company and individual applicant is not supposed to otherwise use the Materials. The company and individual applicant shall defend and indemnify BCA and its officers, employees and agents from and against any and all liability, damage, loss or expense (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses) imposed upon BCA in connection with any claim arising out of the company and individual applicant’s use of the Materials. 15) Re-assessment fee is applicable for those who are required to re-take the assessment. 16) I consent to BCA, BCA Academy, and BCA’s employees contacting me via my contacts (including email addresses and mobile numbers) to market future courses, seminars, conduct surveys, circulate publications (i.e. magazines, periodicals etc). If you wish to withdraw your consent to any use or disclosure of your personal data as set out above, you may contact us. PLEASE NOTE: All correspondence and notices addressed to BCA are to be sent to BCA Academy. Photographs of attendees will be taken at the event for our publicity materials, newsletters and other publications.