Event code: 78051
Performance-Based Design for Fire Safety
– Smoke Control Design
High rise buildings are provided with smoke control ventilation to allow occupants safe passage to evacuate or clear the smoke during fire. The interaction between efficiency of evacuation and smoke control system forms part of the performance-based fire safety design.
This workshop aims to provide participants an understanding of various strategy for evacuation, design of escape routes and their efficiency such as simultaneous and phased. Design of smoke control system for various purposes including means of escape will be discussed.
At the end of the workshop, participants should be able to:
a) Understand the prescriptive and performance-based means of escape design requirements
b) Learn the different evacuation strategy
c) Know the smoke control strategy management and different ventilation methods
d) Discuss the smoke control requirements for high rise building and atrium
Occupant Evacuation Management
Session 1: Overview of Means of Escape Design
• Prescriptive / Performance-based
• Detection and alarm, Travel distance, door
and stair width provisions
Session 2: Evacuation Strategy
• Progressive, Staged
Session 3: Required Evacuation time
• Human response
• Tenability criteria
• Pre-movement time
• Travel time
Session 4: Case Study
Smoke Control Management
Session 5: Overview of Smoke Management
• Smoke Control Strategy
Session 6: Method of Ventilation
• Natural ventilation
• Mechanical ventilation
• Stair/Lobby pressurization
Session 7: Steady State Fire and Smoke
• Axi-symmetric plumes
• Spill plumes
Session 8: High Rise Building
• Protection of Staircases and common area
• Evacuation Strategy
• Comparison of natural, mechanical and pressurization
Session 9: Atrium
• Design Objectives
• Performance criteria
• Design method
DR TIMOTHY LIU obtained his PhD from the University of Manchester, and subsequently lectured in the same university. He has conducted researches in structural design and structure fire engineering, and has written a few publications on these topics. The primary interest of his research is the development of a finite element package for the assessment of performance of structures in fire.
Being an independent fire consultant, Dr Liu provides fire safety strategy and conducts fire engineering design for many high profile projects, in terms of project value and/or innovation. With his vast experience and familiarity with British Standard, European and NFPA design codes, Dr Liu has been invited to work in many projects in worldwide, including high-speed rail tunnels in Taiwan, casino in Macau, and indoor ski slope of UAE. Many of these involved specific smoke control system for the various purposes from occupant protection to property protection. Dr Liu is the principal author of some fire engineering computer software such as TRAD (building radiation) and CAFÉ (general fire engineering application) which have been used widely by many fire consultants and regulatory bodies in the UK, Canada, including Singapore.
• Fire Safety Engineers
• Mechanical Engineers
7th Run: TBC
Duration: 2 days
Time: 9.00am to 6.00pm
Venue: BCA Academy
Fee (incl of GST): S$850.00
Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
SCDF (for Fire Safety Engineers): Pending
Visit BCA Academy Online StoreFront (OSF) - CLICK HERE
If you need assistance, please call our customer service hotline: 6248 9999, from 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
200 Braddell Rd S579700 • Fax: 6258 0558 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org • www.bcaa.edu.sg
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1) The company and individual applicant has read and understood the terms and conditions. 2) The company and individual applicant warrant that the particulars given are accurate. 3) The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) can disclose to other government agencies any information relating to this application. 4) Payment for the course must be made to BCA before the course commencement date. 5) Any Direct Debit and Direct Credit Authorisation for GIRO applications previously signed and passed to BCA will apply to payments made under this course. 6) BCA reserves the right to accept or reject the application for whatever reason. 7) BCA shall at its discretion allocate a space to the registered applicant, based on availability. 8) BCA reserves the right to amend any details relating to the course, revise the course fees without prior notice, cancel or postpone the course. 9) No deferment is allowed. 10) Request for withdrawal must be made in writing. Requests are subject to approval by BCA and administration fee: Written request for withdrawal that reaches BCA - At least 2 weeks before the course commencement date: 10% of course fee is payable. - Less than 2 weeks but more than 3 working days before the course commencement date: 25% of course fee is payable. - 3 working days or less before the course commencement date: full course fee is payable. 11) No Replacement is allowed for funded participants. 12) The Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points indicated for any course offered by BCA is subject to change and final approval by the relevant professional accreditation bodies. 13) Funding and subsidies offered by BCA or third party organisations for the courses are subject to approval. The company must make the application for funding and subsidies. BCA is not to be held liable and the company agrees to pay BCA the applicable funding amount if funding and subsidies are either granted at a reduced amount, not granted at all or if funding is revoked, for whatever reason. 14) All information, materials, services, intellectual property and other property and rights provided by BCA during the course are provided on an “as is” basis. BCA makes no warranties of any kind, either express or implied, as to any matter, and all such warranties, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are expressly disclaimed. 15) The materials supplied to the company and individual applicant for the course (“Materials”) are for their personal reference only and the company and individual applicant is not supposed to otherwise use the Materials. The company and individual applicant shall defend and indemnify BCA and its officers, employees and agents from and against any and all liability, damage, loss or expense (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses) imposed upon BCA in connection with any claim arising out of the company and individual applicant’s use of the Materials. 15) Re-assessment fee is applicable for those who are required to re-take the assessment. 16) I consent to BCA, BCA Academy, and BCA’s employees contacting me via my contacts (including email addresses and mobile numbers) to market future courses, seminars, conduct surveys, circulate publications (i.e. magazines, periodicals etc). If you wish to withdraw your consent to any use or disclosure of your personal data as set out above, you may contact us. PLEASE NOTE: All correspondence and notices addressed to BCA are to be sent to BCA Academy. Photographs of attendees will be taken at the event for our publicity materials, newsletters and other publications.