Event code: 78015
Since 1 April 2015, all structural plans submission have to be based on Eurocode (EC) design standards. EC was developed over the last 30 years by experts from the European Union and is considered as one of the world’s most advanced and established building codes. This move is part of BCA’s ongoing efforts in raising the standards of structural building design.
To prepare engineers for the adoption of EC in the design of reinforced concrete structures, this workshop will approach the design of concrete structures using EC in comparison with BS 8110.
The workshop will contain lectures as well as hands-on tutorial sessions to provide participants with practical design experience.
This workshop is jointly organised by BCA Academy and Protective Technology Research Centre of Nanyang Technological University.
The workshopaims to prepare the participants to:
• Appreciate the design approach based on the EC;
• Appreciate the essential differences between EC2 and BS 8110 in:
- Basis of structural design and action on structures;
- Design procedures and results for beams, slabs and columns;
- Detailing rules of columns, walls, beams and slabs to EC2
PROFESSOR TAN KANG HAI obtained his BSc(Eng) and PhD from the University of Manchester, UK. He is a Professor at the School of Civil & Environmental Engineering, and also the Director of Protective Technology Research Centre (PTRC) at Nanyang Technological University.
Prior to joining NTU, he worked as a graduate engineer in Ove Arup & Partners, UK. He won the UK Institution of Structural Engineering Henry Adams Award in May 1989 for his original research work in structural sandwich panels subjected to lateral loading. This award was based on his PhD work. He is a registered Professional Engineer in Singapore. He has been involved in several fire engineering consultancy works including analysis and design of steel structures in clean room facilities, storage racks, A&A works on structural fire resistance aspect at Changi Terminal 1 and consultancy to HDB on the upgrading of SECAD computer system to EC for structural concrete. He
served as Chairman of a few task force groups on EC relating to structural fire applications. He also worked with Ministry of Home Affairs and Defence Science and Technology Agency on mitigating progressive collapse of building structures due to blast. He has written close to 120 Science Citation Index (SCI) top tier international journal paper publications and 160 international conference articles on steel and concrete structures. His research topics include behaviour and modelling of steel, concrete and composite structures under fire conditions, strut and tie modelling of reinforced concrete structures, and progressive collapse resistance and numerical simulations of structures subjected to extreme loading conditions.
• Structural Practicing Engineers
• Design Consultants
• Precast Concrete Designers
• Resident Engineers
• Resident Technical Officers
• Concrete Specialists
Certificate of Attendance (COA) will be awarded to participants who meet the attendance requirement.
IES-ACES (REs / RTOs): Pending
23rd Run: To be advised30 Sep & 1 Oct 2019
Duration: 2 days
Time: 9.00am to 5.30pm
Venue: BCA Academy
Fee (incl of GST): S$690.00
Refreshments will be provided.
In keeping with our green and sustainable practices, course notes will be available in e-format
Employment and Employability Institute (e2i) Funding Information
Funding from Employment and Employability Institute (e2i) is available. The Nett Grant Amount is S$255. To be eligible, you must (i) Be a Singaporean or Singapore Permanent Resident; (ii) Meet the Attendance Requirement; and (iii) Pass the Course. Course fee of S$690 must be paid in full first. The funding grant amount shall be refunded to the successful applicants after successful completion of the course. To apply, please complete the grant application form available from the Online Storefront. Funding is subject to terms and conditions of e2i and BCA Academy.
Visit BCA Academy Online StoreFront (OSF) - CLICK HERE
Download brochure here
If you need assistance, please call our customer service hotline: 6248 9999, from 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
200 Braddell Rd S(579700) • Fax: 6258 0558 • Email: email@example.com • www.bcaa.edu.sg
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1) The company and individual applicant has read and understood the terms and conditions. 2) The company and individual applicant warrant that the particulars given are accurate. 3) The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) can disclose to other government agencies any information relating to this application. 4) Payment for the course must be made to BCA before the course commencement date. 5) Any Direct Debit and Direct Credit Authorisation for GIRO applications previously signed and passed to BCA will apply to payments made under this course. 6) BCA reserves the right to accept or reject the application for whatever reason. 7) BCA shall at its discretion allocate a space to the registered applicant, based on availability. 8) BCA reserves the right to amend any details relating to the course, revise the course fees without prior notice, cancel or postpone the course. 9) No deferment is allowed. 10) Request for withdrawal must be made in writing. Requests are subject to approval by BCA and administration fee: Written request for withdrawal that reaches BCA - At least 2 weeks before the course commencement date: 10% of course fee is payable. - Less than 2 weeks but more than 3 working days before the course commencement date: 25% of course fee is payable. - 3 working days or less before the course commencement date: full course fee is payable. 11) No Replacement is allowed for funded participants. 12) The Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points indicated for any course offered by BCA is subject to change and final approval by the relevant professional accreditation bodies. 13) Funding and subsidies offered by BCA or third party organisations for the courses are subject to approval. The company must make the application for funding and subsidies. BCA is not to be held liable and the company agrees to pay BCA the applicable funding amount if funding and subsidies are either granted at a reduced amount, not granted at all or if funding is revoked, for whatever reason. 14) All information, materials, services, intellectual property and other property and rights provided by BCA during the course are provided on an “as is” basis. BCA makes no warranties of any kind, either express or implied, as to any matter, and all such warranties, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are expressly disclaimed. 15) The materials supplied to the company and individual applicant for the course (“Materials”) are for their personal reference only and the company and individual applicant is not supposed to otherwise use the Materials. The company and individual applicant shall defend and indemnify BCA and its officers, employees and agents from and against any and all liability, damage, loss or expense (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses) imposed upon BCA in connection with any claim arising out of the company and individual applicant’s use of the Materials. 16) Re-assessment fee is applicable for those who are required to re-take the assessment. 17) I consent to BCA, BCA Academy, and BCA’s employees contacting me via my contacts (including email addresses and mobile numbers) to market future courses, seminars, conduct surveys, circulate publications (i.e. magazines, periodicals etc). If you wish to withdraw your consent to any use or disclosure of your personal data as set out above, you may contact us. PLEASE NOTE: All correspondence and notices addressed to BCA are to be sent to BCA Academy. Photographs of attendees will be taken at the event for our publicity materials, newsletters and other publications.