Event code: 80010
Construction sites are often exposed to risks. Collapse, flooding, fire, falling debris, accidents involving workers or even damage to third party properties are among the common concerns at on-going project site. This course comprising of lectures and case studies, will enable participants to appreciate basic concepts in risk management and acquire better knowledge of the Contractors’ All Risks (CAR) insurance policy. Besides policy coverage, issues of dealing with CAR claims will also be addressed during the session.
By the end of the programme, participants will be able to:
• Identify the scope and coverage of the Contractors’ All Risks (CAR) policies, and describe how the various policy conditions, extensions and exclusions are applied.
• Compare and contrast the scope and application of the Contractors’ All Risks policy, and how risk management techniques are used to minimise certain site exposures.
• Highlight the main claims conditions applicable to the CAR policy and describe the typical claims handling process, as well as the role of the loss adjuster in dealing with complex claims.
• Appreciate the various endorsements, clauses and deductible applicable under this policy.
• Describe the steps involved in application of recovery, salvage and “other insurance” in claims settlements.
Risk Management and Basic Concepts of Risk Transfer Mechanism
• Overview of Construction Insurance
• Types of Available Cover
Contractors’ All Risks (CAR) Policy
• Subject Matter of Coverage
• Structure of Policy – Section I and II
• Scope of Cover
• Policy Schedule
• Period of Cover
• Sum Insured
• Basis of Loss Settlement
• General Exclusions, Special Exclusions and General Conditions
• Common Extensions / Clauses
• Design Coverage
General Claim Issues
• General Claims Conditions
• Basis of Loss Settlement
• Claims Notification
• Loss Adjusters’ Duties
• Claims Disputes
• Ex-Gratia Payments
Case Studies and Q&A
Ir Pooba Mahalingam
B.Eng(Hons), P.Eng, MIEM, MCIHT, AICLA(Aff.), ASII, ACTA
Ir Pooba Mahalingam is a professional engineer with technical experience in the insurance and risk industry. He has over 20 years of work experience where he has managed construction and engineering insurance claims. He also handled risk management assignments for large and complex projects in the region. Pooba was previously attached to an international claims management company and led its Construction, Power and Engineering (CPE) team. Prior to that he worked in an international risk firm and was responsible for mega project risk management and operations. He also gained further regional engineering exposure in his assignments in Brunei, Indonesia, Myanmar, Vietnam, and Hong Kong. Ir Pooba is currently the President of the Insurance Law Association of Singapore (ILAS) and an active facilitator with The Australasian Institute of Chartered Loss Adjusters (AICLA) and the Singapore College of Insurance (SCI).
• Quantity Surveyors
• Builders and Contractors
• Project Directors and Project Managers
• Personnel involved in insurance related matters and claims for construction companies.
1st Run: 23 Jan 2018
Duration: 1 day
Time: 9.00am to 5.30pm
Venue: BCA Academy
Fee (Incl of GST): S$380.00
Refreshments & Lunch is provided.
PEB: 7 PDUs
SISV (QS DIVISION): 7 CPD Hours
To register, please log into our Online StoreFront (OSF) at https://eservices.bcaa.edu.sg/registration/#/login and search for course code 80010
Download Brochure here